1

Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Raspberries


I LOVE raspberries!  My mom used to have a patch- easy pickins.  The only competition was the birds (and I won).  I rarely cook with them- just eat them out of hand.  Tried a pie once- too sweet & gooey.  Love jam but not fond of the little thingies (seeds?) that get caught in between your teeth.  They are also lousy keepers. I used to enjoy taking my kids to pick them after school- much quicker than strawberries & no bending or bees!  Cheaper, too!
Got some recipes?  Love to hear about them!
They get picked about twice a year & NOW is the time here in Maryland. So I saw in the local rag, "The Cecil Whig" that Sat. & Sun. there was to be a raspberry festival at Milburn Orchards- somewhere in Elkton.  Hey, remember when that city was the elopement capital of the east?
Now I may be lost, but I knew that was not too far, so GPS directions sent me on my merry way!
WHAT A GREAT PLACE!  Large store, huge playground, plenty of parking, pick-your-own orchards (or not).  It does not get much easier then raspberry pickin! 


Not much of a festival, really, just some free samples- pie, jam, salsa, raspberry butter (who knew?).  The pie was really quite good & I was tempted.  Local products & others galore. I'm trying the raspberry butter, curd, and frozen "Chicken Chesapeake." I'm Unfamiliar with the latter and I'll let you know what I think.  Farm products, mixes, bakery items, and ice cream from Kilby Cream made with- yup, fresh raspberries.  They even had an abelskiver pan.
There is a small charge for the wonderful farm playground.  This place reminds me of Kilby Cream- but MUCH larger!  What an asset to Cecil County and state!  I'll be back! Apples!!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment