1

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Memories of the Fourth




The Harve de Grace carnival was much larger than I was expecting (sorry, Newport, R.I.).  It was huge with a large and well-behaved crowd. No, I passed on the rides (neck woes), but had a funnel cake and purchased a bubble gun (see pic). Yeah, yeah, yeah,  I said that I was going to give it later in the month to my grand-neice (and I may), but this thing is so darn much fun!!!  It lights up, buzzes, and blows tons of bubbles.  What's not to like?  Sure, it was $8, but worth every penny.  Today I need more batteries & bubble stuff.  C'mon, life it short- have fun!

It was long, fun, and warm in Havre de Grace for the parade. Definitely the "in" place to be. I was impressed that not only were many of the current office-holders were in it (now all running), but candidates also. Heck, in Middletown where I lived (next to Newport; part of Newport Co., but most things there are town-centered, not county), I couldn't get into public places like the library, senior center, etc., as a candidate. No, the deck was definitely not stacked against political challenegers. Public discourse and candidate participation is just plain healthy and ultimately good for all of "we, the people." Unless, of course, as a friend says, you end up voting the wrong way! LOL!!!

It's shaping up to be a very interesting political season everywhere this Nov. I'm a political junkie, so more on Md. politics later. I'm still working out the lay of the land, not to mention where the heck I am.

BTW, where were all the bathrooms for the parade and "we, the people"?  Sure couldn't go into the local hospital to use theirs.  Thanks so much.  Too few and far between!!!!  With all the seniors (a-hem) and children present, they were MUCH-NEEDED!  Keeping yourself well-hydrated means- well, bathrooms needed!  HELLO, out there, party organizers.

There was no problem parking (small vehicle) and plenty of room for everyone.  The shady side with all the trees was much-appreciated.  Yup, I made a parade donation and was happy to be able to do so.

Loved the fireworks!!  From my high deck on the Susquehanna, I saw at least 8 displays.  Don't know who they all were (Cark Ripken Stadium?,  local Veterans?), but THANKS!  (BTW, Go, Ironbirds!  Go Newport Gulls!  Go Boston Red Sox!)






No comments :

Post a Comment