1

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 2, 2010

Stiff-Necked on the Eastern Shore, but Well-Fed

Today I had two medical tests done: nerve conductivity & an electromyogram.  What fun.  One test involved sending mild electric charges all over both arms and the other involved sticking a small needle into my arm (electric) and having me- clench my fist, push, pull, etc.

Why, one may ask, am I having such inane tests done akin to being in the Tower during the reign of Henry VIII? Ahhh, good question.  This test was brought about by my having an MRI on my back/neck.  And this came about after complaining to my nurse-practitioner (love 'em) about pain which has not gone away since the beginning of March when I, uh, hmm, oh, walked into a glass door with my head slightly inclined while I was multi-tasking at high speed.  Big mistake.

After going to my chiropractor for awhile, I finally gave up and decided that I needed drugs, tests, and another apporach.  So testing, testing, testing.  In between I do a series of back/neck/shoulder exercises which always help for the day, but, darn! the pain always returns by the a.m.  I'm hoping that some physical therapy will be called for and do the trick, but ...  So go ahead and call me "stiff-necked."  It's true.  Sigh.

The good news is that I have health care.  The bad news is that it costs me big $ and that I'm still--- STIFF and sore.  But... I do have--- DRUGS!  Otherwise referred to as muscle relaxers.  My nurse-practitioner is in lovely Havre De Grace and the OPEN MRI is in nearby Principio Furnace. "Open"- that's the only way to go (and with a "happy pill") when you are claustrophobic.  No more panic attacks for me!

I have not yet had to use "Patient First" in nearby Aberdeen for 24 hr., 7 day/wk care, but a friend has & I do recommend it. I do NOT recommend the local hospital on a Fri. or Sat. night.  I went on a weekday morning & no problem, although I had trouble understanding the Dr.  Weekend evenings are full of police, drunks, car accidents, etc., and the regular group of ill people.  W---A---I---T. 


While in Aberdeen I went to the "Olive Tree" restaurant.  Good food, decent prices, fast service.  My expert friend on crab cakes assures me that theirs are quite good (needs more "Old Bay").  My pasta carbonarra (cheese sauce, bacon, & mushrooms) was yummy and enough for two.  A big salad bowl and plenty of soft breaksticks which also made their way home.  Excellent margueritas, too.

No comments :

Post a Comment